To Light, or Not to Light?
November 15, 2023
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
by Deborah Gottesman.
Lighting layouts are not the same as lighting design.
Quality lighting design begins with concept development – a form of programming for the visual environment that considers many elements such as perception, contrast, and visibility. This seminar outlines the steps taken on various diverse projects to address those essentials and create the desired mood, atmosphere, and functionality. The case studies span different sectors, from heritage to retail to residential, and identify the range of challenges that good design can help overcome, with many universal lessons.
At the end of the seminar, attendees will:
- Understand the value of “lighting with intention”
- Recognize how project challenges and goals guide the development of a lighting design
- Appreciate the challenges and opportunities that lighting controls present, and
- See how designers can deeply affect perception through lighted effects.
Deborah Gottesman, P.Eng., MBA, LC, Assoc.IALD
Deborah has a unique contextual understanding of lighting from all perspectives; her career spans over 30 years in all facets of the lighting industry, including design, engineering, management, education, and manufacturing.
Since establishing Gottesman Associates in 1999, Deborah’s creative, rigorous, passionate and client-driven approach have brought award-winning lighting designs to a wide range of satisfied and repeat clients.
An electrical engineer with an MBA in Real Property, Deborah has successfully worked on projects in many sectors, and has taught lighting at all levels to a wide audience from students at colleges and universities to senior architects.
Deborah currently sits on the International Technical Committee 3-59:
- The Integration of Daylight and Electric Light
- of the Commission Internationale de L’Eclairage (CIE)
- Recognized with International Award of Merit
IES Calgary Section is sponsored by:
Venue Phone: (403) 475-8561